4.21.2008

Yikes

I love Google Alerts. Really, I do. It passes on interesting articles directly to my email inbox. And while I'm not being paid to advertise for them (as if they need my help!), I just want to mention it because it will let you know that I was certainly not looking for this article that dropped into my box this morning.

Now, landmines are not a laughing matter (except in certain cases, like when watching the UN anti-landmine video, which takes place on a soccer field. Though there's disagreement on that particular example.), and I'm not generally given to laughing at horrible tragedy. I'm not certain that a landmine beauty pageant is funny (stop now, go read the article, and then come back), but it certainly is... no, I don't have an adjective for this. It's frightening, as it seems the women are competing to earn prosthetic limbs. It's weird, that anyone would think this was a good idea. It's potentially liberating (?) as maybe it teaches these women that they are still beautiful even after an awful accident.

Then again, I just watched Miss Congeniality last night, so my whole perspective on beauty pagents is off right now. But I really do like Google Alerts.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kate,

Hate to tell you this. Just a fact of life. Where there is one mouse, there is always another. I warn you to get another trap. :)
Say hi to Phil and Liz when they get there.
Love you.
Uncle Jim

s white said...

This strikes me as one of those "it seemed like a good idea at 3am when we came up with it" sort of things. Which is why they are supposed to be producers (the peole who pay for the production) who save 'creative types' from such.... um.....creativity.