12.03.2007

Curious

Having passed the six-month mark here in Cambo (as I like to call it occasionally), I find myself having lots of answers to questions I formulated before moving. Such as, where will I live? How will I get around? Will it be hot all the time? (Answers: in an apartment; on a moto; no)

Instead, these have been replaced by other, somewhat strange questions. I’ve decided to pose them here, because, frankly, I think they might be entertaining. So, in no particular order, questions about (and from) Cambodia…

Why does the smell of my laundry change depending on the time of day it is hung outside to dry?

Will I ever see a lizard out of the corner of my eye and not think it is a mouse?

Does barking all night long strain a dog’s vocal cords?

Is it possible not to flinch every time I take a cold shower (which is daily)?

Why, when I’m not interested, do I see at least 6 men riding bicycles selling things I need to buy, but when I’m thinking about it, no one is around?

Will my feet (or shoes) ever be completely clean again?

Why are Cambodians so into bad 80s (and 90s) love ballads?

How is it possible that the average Cambodian man is shorter, thinner, and still stronger than me?
(hmm, maybe I don’t want to answer that)

Do my landlords know my name or do they actually think it is “Madame?” Will they ever call me anything other than “Madame?”

Is there a limit to the number of mangoes one person can eat in a lifetime?

Inquiring minds (okay, just one mind) want to know.

3 comments:

Ravi said...

Madame,
Great questions! I have some of my own that I'm "curious" about. Your top priority now is to find out the answers to these questions...

1. How many Cambodians does it take to screw in a light bulb?
2. Why did the Cambodian cross the road?
3. Where is my sock?

Hopefully you figure out the last one soon! :)

Kate said...

Well, I can't answer these exactly, but I CAN say that it takes 3 Cambodians to load a motorbike into the back of a pickup truck. It also takes another Cambodian, an American, and a Dutch woman to watch.

So from that, I would assume that a light bulb requires much less help. Provided there is electricity, of course.

Liz said...

Hi Sister! Well I really liked all your questions. Hopefully I will get to talk to you soon! Miss you byes..

Liz