12.20.2007

Christmas


It’s that time of year again! I’m certain that many of you are cringing at what promises to be another reminder about Christmas. How’s your shopping? The cards? Any travel plans? You see, I’d almost forgotten that it was Christmas. Aside from the pile in my junk mail box, there is a lack of “holiday sales” and certainly no commercials about the impending holiday. No one is reminding me that I have to find something perfect for everyone on my list, and I feel no pressure to go shopping. I’m not even sure where I’d be able to find a stocking, let alone fill it! And the weather remains sunny and in the 70s and 80s.

There have been small reminders of the season. I’ve heard carols playing at the grocery store, and hummed along as I purchased my milk. The best, however, was riding in a car only to hear a Christmas song by none other than New Kids on the Block, a band that in 1989 I thought was the “best ever” (though I was 8 at the time, and my tastes have changed a bit). This catchy tune was followed up by none other than that Christmas smash “Feliz Navidad.” I will let you draw your own conclusions about a Spanish song playing in Cambodia.

I went to lunch recently at a small restaurant in my neighborhood. It’s operated as an NGO, and gives women some training in hospitality. Imagine my surprise when I found the place decked out for the holidays, with a tree and even carols playing over the loudspeakers. I couldn’t stop smiling. Later, when I found the staff at World Relief putting the finishing touches on a Christmas tree in our office, they made fun of me and how happy such a small thing made me feel. The extent to which I decorated at home was this small nativity scene. It’s hard to tell, but the baby Jesus does have a face.

I’m torn between being grateful that Christmas remains unsullied and pure here and sad that there’s little recognition of the holiday. Those who celebrate it do so because it reflects their faith. No traces of materialism here. Those who don’t get excited about evergreens, snow, and baby Jesus… well, most of them haven’t even heard the story.

I was leaving the house last week when I was surprised by my landlords. They handed me a little bag and said, “Merry Holiday.” It was possibly the sweetest thing I’ve seen in awhile. Inside were some small gifts and a card that said in English, “Merry Christmas. Happy New Year.” I am trying to think of a way to share with them in a return gift just why this holiday is so important.

I heard a radio commercial a few years ago proclaim “This Christmas, it’s all about YOU!” Which, of course, made me laugh and then soberly reflect on how many people find that statement to be true. I’m excited to try out Christmas in a culture that doesn’t expect packages and ribbons, cookies and candy. I miss my family, my traditions, and I will really miss all the holiday goodies, but I’m curious to celebrate boldly in a place where this story, and my beliefs in general, are not the norm at all.

2 comments:

LynnaeEtta said...

You bought the Nativity scene! I love it. :)

Did you finalize your travel plans? I can't wait to see pictures!

Peace,
Lynnae

Brenda McLoud said...

Did they address the gift to Madame? I'm loving your blog. Have a great trip! Brenda