9.18.2008

Moving Forward


Well, it had to happen sometime. Despite being fashion-forward and not a little funky, the Pink Helmet was retired a few weeks ago. The visor had been a little mangled for quite awhile, and instead of replacing it a second time in only 3 weeks, I opted to get something a bit more safe. After watching a woman fall off a motorbike and scrape her face on the pavement, I suddenly became very interested in having full face protection (including chin and jaw).

Despite the plethora of options available, I have chosen a standard issue black motorcycle helmet. It's basic, it's a little boring, but it's also been great. The Pink Helmet, may it rest in peace, has been relegated to emergency and guest use only. If you come for a visit... you might even get to borrow it.

In other transportation news, my motorbike has seen some improvement. The Phnom Penh traffic police have been cracking down on motos without mirrors (accounting for about 50% of all motos in PP). I was pulled over and had to pay $1. I quickly realized that simply putting the mirrors onto the motorbike would save me a lot of trouble, so $1.50 later, I now have two mirrors. Although they are absolutely no help at all in traffic, they are successfully helping me avoid the traffic police.

In other news, we now have several new American neighbors and are busy dreaming up ways we can challenge our Khmer neighbors in sporting competitions. Suggestions are welcome. Finally, the event we all feared would take place finally has. On Saturday, despite having been up and down the stairs to our apartment for a year, I took my first tumble (down the first six stairs). It was highly embarrassing, highly painful, and I'm not looking to repeat the experience. A few bruises and some shaken confidence are the outcomes of the fall. Thankfully, none of our new neighbors were home to witness this (although the landlady and her nephew came running out-- the stairs are metal, and I wasn't quiet during my rapid descent). We're thinking of installing a harness to prevent future incidents.

7 comments:

Justin Iwata said...

Kate,

I got your blog address from Stacy, I hope you don't mind and more importantly I hope you're feeling better.

You have a really great blog, and I am glad that I found something to break up the monotony of my work day. You're truly doing the Lord's work there, and I hope He continues to bless you and keep you safe especially from bike accidents and stair mishaps.

Best,
Justin

Liz said...

See, now you know why I made Phil carry everything up and down the steps. I knew that I would fall and I just couldn't be the first!

Unknown said...

So sad. No more pink helmet. Now cool black helmet. Hope all is going well Kate, looks like you need to wear the helmet to walk down stairs.

s white said...

the loss of Pinkie is very sad. Nancy has always said that every woman needs to own the 'little black dress' b/c it works everywhere. Maybe this is actually a cross cultural discovery you have made here and in Cambodia, everyone needs to own a little black moto lid!

Ravi said...

I'm confused! Your helmet in the picture still looks part pink...that's great!

Angela Moore said...

Hey Kate. I dig the helmet. Very nice.

Did you still want to play 31 Days of Make Believe? (http://unexpectedart.blogspot.com/2008/09/31-days-of-make-believe.html) If yes, shoot a note amonthofstuff@gmail.com and I'll send the info your way. Thanks Kate!

Gracie said...

I LOVE the PICTURE!!!! My dear Kate I think you guys should play ULTIMATE FRISBEE~~~ that would be AMAZING! lol if not that you should check out the Japanese game shows some of those are quite entertaining!