2.07.2008

Brief

I woke up this morning with a cold. So, while my head is all stuffy and fluffy, I thought I'd update on some things I've noticed and that have happened recently. Just to stay on top of ever-exciting life in Phnom Penh...

1. Happy Chinese New Year!! Red lanterns and sacrifices are taking place all over. I've wished a couple of staff members a happy new year, only to have them reply "I'm not Chinese!" Which, of course, I already knew (and replied "I'm not Chinese either!''). It makes me wonder what will happen when I wish them a Happy President's Day later this month ("I'm not a President!"). Just kidding.

2. The other day, my next door neighbor was drying a side of pork ribs on their laundry line. It was an appetizing sight when I left the house at 8 a.m. The landlords downstairs often dry fish or pieces of meat in a basket on our roof... which I have to be close to as I go down the stairs. I just find this an interesting way to make... jerky?

3. New noises this week: firecrackers and cap guns. The guns sound almost real, and go off about every 10-20 mins. because I live right behind a school. Every time I hear them, I grow concerned for the teens, and the first time, I almost jumped out of my own skin. Scary.

4. I have discovered the beauty of water delivery. My "eco footprint" has changed considerably, as I have thrown out zero water bottles these last couple of weeks. This means my trash is lighter, I am more environmentally friendly, and I think I'm saving money. That trifecta produces some very happy feelings.

5. I miss my car. That's just a public service announcement. It's completely weird to miss a possession, especially in comparison to people. Nevertheless, I have found myself a bit wistful as I remember cruising around in my little 5-speed. I've been keeping it under wraps around here, because it's hard to explain that yes, I owned a car all for myself, and yes, so did almost everyone else I knew. The motorbike is awfully fun, but it doesn't come with a CD player or air conditioning. Not to mention the accidents (my scrapes and bruises are healing nicely).

6. Fruit shakes. I mentioned this before, but it is becoming a serious addiction, and I am a little worried that when mango season comes around (only another couple of months! get excited!) I will be in trouble. I may only eat mango shakes. Currently, I am enamored of the banana, strawberry, passion fruit shake. With frozen strawberries. Or pineapple. The combinations are endless.

7. I am wondering if Cambodia celebrates Valentine's Day. Give me a week and I'll let you know. Are you now picturing people saying to me, "I'm not a Valentine!" So am I.

With that, we've come full circle, and the stuffiness and fluffiness have made me forget all my other earth-shattering and/or hilarious observations. Or, at least, those I can share in brief.

No comments: