7.01.2007

Simplicity


I went to a Khmer church this morning, at the invitation of my friend Rasmey (in the picture). I met Rasmey and his wife, Socheata, and their adorable son, Joseph, last summer when I was here. They are a sweet family, very kind and welcoming. Rasmey has been asking me to visit his church since I arrived last month, and I finally had a chance to go, with two of our ESL volunteers in tow. The church itself is simple, and the pastor (Kirin) informed me that they have been building it slowly for the past six years. The flooring is still temporary, and though there is a roof, the ceiling isn’t yet installed. Pastor Kirin said to me, “muy channam, tik tik, muy channam, tik tik” (one year, little bit, one year, little bit). Each year, something else is added. They are a patient church.

The congregation itself was small. Perhaps 15 people total. Yet, the sounds of praise and the shouts of “Amen!” as Pastor Kirin spoke made me feel like we were in a much larger group. It was a personal service, at a church were everyone knows each other’s first name, and many are even related (Rasmey’s father-in-law is the assistant pastor; his mother- and sister-in-law sat behind us). At one point we sang the hymn, “How Great Thou Art.” This hymn (I’m ashamed to admit) has never been one of my favorites. Somehow, though, in another language, in this intimate church setting, the words (those I could remember in English anyway) became more poignant. On the other side of the world, looking out over a new country, I was able to “stare in awesome wonder at the works His hand hath made.”

One thing I have come to appreciate about the faith of the Cambodian Christians is the simplicity with which they believe. No heavy doctrine here. Each sermon I’ve heard in Khmer has begun with the following statements: The Word of God is true; Jesus is the Son of God. No questions about these things. Pastor Kirin gave a simple message, and reminded the group of this verse from Romans 12: “Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone” (verses 17-18).

How strange that I had been contemplating those verses earlier this week. I am “in charge” of making decisions for volunteers, about where they will eat, where they stay, how they get to where they are going, and all the other logistics for their trip. As much as it depends on me, I am to live at peace with these individuals. I am to make decisions in their best interest, with the goal of helping them to see and connect to what God is doing here. Even when I’m tired, even when I want to do what is easy. In these cases, I am still to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. I’ve had to make choices this week, had to change some decisions I made early on now that I have more information. It has made things much more hectic and complex. Now I have to deal with the consequences of doing what is right, all the while living at peace with everyone. A tall order.

Sitting in church today, I realized that the Cambodians are on to something; regardless of circumstance, they stand on the truth: the Word of God and the Message of Jesus. It’s not complex, it’s very simple. One does not accept only part of the Word, the parts that make life easy. One does not compromise the Message of Christ. The situation that I’ve dealt with has made me consider sacrificing peace for convenience, and I’ve tried to think about the situation in shades of gray, degrees of “rightness.” At the end of the day, however, I have to answer for my decisions, to God and to others. I choose a doctrine of simplicity, believing that I am to do what is right in the eyes of everyone, and as far as it depends on me, to live at peace with them.

1 comment:

Ravi said...

The amount I feel like I understand God: muy channam, tik tik, muy channam, tik tik :)