7.07.2007

Marriage

I received two marriage proposals last week. One, as I sat on the back of a moto taxi, and the other as I chatted with a worker at an Internet café. Both went something like this:

Man: “Are you married?”
Me: “No, I’m single. Are you married?”
Man: “No. (pause) You marry with me?”
Me: “Um… no.”

Not that these aren’t nice guys. The moto driver, in fact, has not overcharged me on our trips around town. That’s good. The internet café guy just wanted to practice his English, apparently for life. There is a material incentive for me to marry a Cambodian—discounts on garbage and electricity bills, amounting to something like $50 per month. What a bargain, right? Nevertheless, I think it will have to be something a little greater than that (and I’m not talking about a bigger discount) to induce me to marry the moto driver. Does that make me picky?

All of this, to say that I am heading back to the US for 10 days for my younger sister’s wedding. She is marrying an American, so no garbage discounts for her. She will, however, speak the same language as her husband. A definite bonus in my book.

In the meantime, here's a picture of me with some of our staff during their early morning ESL class. Just to be clear, none of these guys has proposed to me. I would hate to have to reject three marriage offers in a week. That electricity discount might be worth it someday...

5 comments:

s white said...

Killin' me with this!!
Don't forget to factor in a couple of cows, a few chickens and maybe a goat too before you reject the next offer out of hand!

Annie Els said...

"Does that make me picky?"

HA!

I'm lovin' it! I forgot how much I like your sense of humor.

kmiddlestead said...

Let's play a game. The game is see how many marriage proposals each of us gets and whoever has the most after two years (since you're peacing out before me) gets a shipment of coffee from the other one.

I'm going to give myself two days after landing before I get my first. That might be too optimistic. I give it a half day. Maybe 6 hours... or less.

Sharla Chinniah said...

Now, come on, Kate. Really! I thought you were going to Cambodia to stretch yourself, to sacrifice your needs and desires for a higher cause. I think that your marrying a Cambodian would certainly be more of a benefit to him than to you...that's it--a true sacrifice. :)

Unknown said...

Kate! I miss you girl! I found your blog off of Katie Middlestead's facebook- kind of a round about way to find an old dear friend! Did I mention how much I miss you??? Glad you're still wrapping the boys around your finger you heart breaker you! :)