3.20.2009

Sherlock Cambodia

Sometimes, life in Cambodia is a little slow. There are always things to learn, things to see, but sometimes it's hard to process them all at once and understand everything a tired brain is trying to think about.

And so, one must turn to mysteries. I love mysteries. I love solving puzzles. If it weren't for the gun-toting and dead-body inspecting, I would consider a career as a detective. Since I've decided to go the non-police-work route, this means investigating those little conundrums that pop up around me. Today's installment: The Case of the Unknown Baby.

The Mystery:

About a week ago, a baby appeared in my landlord's house. Baby is very small, obviously newborn, and spends most of the time sleeping under a little netting thing, covered in blankets (despite the 90 degree weather).

The Facts:

My landlord's daughter is pregnant, and has been for some time.

When asked, she indicated that her baby was due to be born in April.

The Unexpected Baby is cared for by a young woman who is not the landlord's daughter.

The daughter, until yesterday, was suspiciously absent from the premises.

The Obvious Question:

Who does this baby belong to?

Well, intrigued readers, I am happy to report that I have solved the mystery. Sort of. The baby does not, in fact, belong to the daughter. Although I saw her yesterday, she was sitting in such a way as to disguise whether she was still pregnant or had recently given birth. This very morning, however, I left for work only to see a very pregnant woman with her husband and mother discussing some new landscaping taking place in our little driveway.

Of course, this only prompts more questions!

First, who is the woman with the baby?

And…

Why are they landscaping a paved courtyard?

It seems an amateur sleuth's work is never done.

3 comments:

Ravi said...

Lucky for you, I know a few people who can help...Sherlock Holmes, the Babysitters Club, and last but not least, Inspector Gadget. I have their numbers if you need it.

Kate said...

Actually Ravi, I could use some input from Nancy Drew. Could you give her a call for me?

LauraLee Shaw said...

hmmmmmmm...keep us posted. I'm ready to turn the page on this nail-biter.

If you can't cut it as a detective, you might consider writing mystery novels. YOu're a good writer!