7.14.2008

Linguistic Foibles (Part Deux)

Sometimes, when I'm speaking Khmer, I inadvertenly say something funny. The other day, a shopkeeper thought I was negotiating a $225 furniture set for $25. We had a good laugh, once he got over the shock. However, sometimes language mishaps go both ways.

KonPleang is a 40-something Cambodian member of my church. She lives in one of the slum villages, and speaks not a word of English. I ran into her unexpectedly while working the other day, and she greeted me with a big hug and smile. She is one of the sweetest ladies I know. Yesterday, she wore a shirt to church with some English writing on it. In bold letters, the shirt proclaimed: "True F***in' Canadian."

Which is, quite simply, both explicit AND incorrect.

1 comment:

Becca said...

Hi Kate! It's been a LONG time but I saw your blog today for the first time and am glad to read about your adventures. I've gone back to Lake Avenue for the past year or so while you've been gone.
We've got a lot to catch up on, including the birth of my son! Check out my blog at www.joeandbeccahouse.blogspot.com Take care!