10.02.2007

Traffic

Today the office has been abuzz with the information that the Cambodian government has passed new traffic regulations. These may include wearing helmets, seat belts, driving under 30 kilometers per hour, and they may never be enforced (this is actually quite likely). Why the crackdown on safety? According to one staff member, 4 people die every day in Cambodia from traffic accidents. During holidays, like Khmer New Year, 300 people die every day. I'm not sure where he found these statistics, so I cannot verify their accuracy.

Now, I know what you're thinking, but I can assure you, these laws were not passed simply because of my accident. Though the timing is a bit suspicious...

Oh, and I'm not so sore anymore, but my elbow is still pretty scraped up. The staff has been tracking my use of bandages (from big gauze down to current Band-aid). Still no sign of a staph infection.

3 comments:

s white said...

It has been said that 90% of all statistics are made up on the spur of the moment I regret that I have been unable to confirm that. (Although I can confirm that 4 out of 5 dentists surveyed did recomend obeying the traffic laws)

Ravi said...

Kate, I highly recommend you read this. It's the new traffic laws for Cambodia: http://www.roadsafetycambodia.info/doku.php?id=l2007
There's a Khmer version for you, and an English version for everyone else. Drive safely!

Liz said...

I think that there is a good chance that these laws were passed bc of you. I think that they cant have americans dying in traffic accidents. hey, we will be home the same time that you are! way fun! cant wait to see you!!!
sister