8.06.2007

Missing


For the past two months, I have been traipsing around Cambodia in a lovely pair of black flip flop sandals. Until Thursday. I brought an extra pair of shoes (nice ones) to wear to our graduation ceremony, and left the well-worn pair at the office.

Late Thursday night, I woke up with a high fever and spent most of Friday in bed recovering. The weekend passed. I wore a similar pair of brown flip flops around, continually wishing that my favorite black shoes were in their place.

Now it's Monday. And my favorite black flip flop sandals, brought all the way from the US, perfectly fit to my great big feet, are gone. No one has seen them, and everyone's best guess is that they disappeared on the feet of one of our provincial staff members. Perhaps this individual mistook them for their own shoes. Perhaps they were in need of some new footwear. I'm trying hard to believe it wasn't a malicious attack on my poor feet. Soon enough I will be asking our provincial leaders if they've seen any suspicious looking feet. If necessary, I'll visit the markets and try to find a replacement pair.

I've been informed that for about $5000 riel ($1.25), my shoes can be put on a taxi and delivered to me from the provinces (should they be there in the first place). So maybe my shoes went out for their own joyride, to see a little more of Cambodia than they have in the past two months.

If that's the case, all I can say is: Come home, sandals, come home.

6 comments:

Ravi said...

You crack me up Kate! I'm assuming you don't love your sandals so much that you had a picture of them lying around...right?? What's kind of funny is that I posted a similar story up in the LA Times about my favorite pair of white socks I used to own. You wouldn't happen to know where they are, would you? :)

kmiddlestead said...

i completely understand the magnitude of this loss. my brown pair of sandals (yours and mine are siblings afterall) is trying hard to keep it together for you until the recovery. keep us posted.

Lewis said...

This was just a funny post. Good job.

Lewis said...

P.S. Look at investing in a pair of Crocs sandals (I hated the look of the clogs, but man, they're comfortable sandals).

Liz said...

let me know if you need me to send you a new pair...i know your love of the sandals..

Gracie said...

so what's the address out there... let's send you 2 pairs!!!
honey they were so NEW too! Ravi cracks me up... Ravi I saw that same article in the LA times too!