1.26.2009

Facing Fear

I arrived back in Cambodia just before the beginning of a holiday (not surprising, as holidays happen here about once a month). This time it was Chinese New Year. I know some of you are thinking, "wait, wait, she doesn't live in China!" and you would be correct. However, a large portion of the Khmer population is part Chinese, and so the holiday is celebrated here with lots of fake paper money burning, sacrifices to ancestors, and a day off school. Also with firecrackers. Which is the subject of the first funny story of the Year of the Ox.

Last year, during Chinese New Year, I was consistently surprised by the firecrackers going off in the neighborhood. So this year, having forgotten that the holiday was even approaching (let alone here), I said to my house cleaner on Saturday morning, "Hedia, they are doing some construction or something. There is this constant banging, so don't let it frighten you. I have been jumping at the sounds all morning." Just then, another BANG sounded. She looked at me curiously. "Kate," she said, with a great deal of patience, and not a little amusement, "That's a game."

Aside from being annoyed/scared by the noises coming from outside my house, a greater fear-inducing problem exists (potentially) inside. Some of you may also remember that there have been several instances in which a mouse has been spotted in my house. During those dangerous times, I was vastly reassured by the presence of my very own mouse assassin (and roommate), Deanna. However, she has returned to the US, leaving me vulnerable to mouse attacks once more. Since my return, I have been on the lookout for any signs of furry creatures. Several pieces of circumstantial evidence point to the existence of a mouse-like intruder, but I haven't actually spotted it yet. The question remains: to trap, or not to trap?

5 comments:

LynnaeEtta said...

Is your roommate coming back soon?

s white said...

Happy New Year and just be glad it aint the Year of the Mouse!

Ravi said...

Maybe I'll come visit this year and take care of any mouse problems!

LauraLee Shaw said...

I got two words for you, Kate:

POY ZON!!!! :0

We had a mice problem once. I thought we'd never get rid of them!

Thanks for coming by my blog, and I would love to link up with you. I'm putting you on my blog list right now. HOPE to see you as God leads! ;)

Deanna Ruark said...

Dear, dear Hedia. She has an infinite amount of patience with foreigners.

As regards the mouse issue, I say trap, but that's just me. Dont't forget to cover them up with a plastic bag before you beat them though, or else you will have to buy a new broom again.