2.16.2008

Mexican

Big news from Phnom Penh... I had my first taste of Mexican food in Cambodia yesterday! Now, I've been able to make my own tacos (or at least attempt it) but it's not the same, precisely, and I've grown nearly desperate of late for some jalapenos. Of course, the restaurant we visited (called Cantina) was not quite the same as the bevy of options in and around LA (La Estrella, Prontos, oh how I miss you!). However, I did get to play the expert, explaining the quesadilla, burrito, and pico de gallo to my British friends... it was a fun and educational adventure.

Now, as to taste: the salsa was fairly good, the tortillas were a little too oily and not soft enough (how they managed that combo, I'll never know) for my preference. There was a noticeable lack of cheese, and it wasn't spicy enough for me... but the overall effect was good. I'll go back and sample the tacos... perhaps those will be better than the burrito was. Or maybe I need to relax my standards.

The most interesting part? All the different smells. And I don't mean food. In addition to the odor of the river (fishy, mostly, and not in a good way), someone was smoking marijuana nearby. Oh so appetizing. Another reminder that I am NOT in California, where that was at least banned from happening in the restaurant. In any case, my cravings for south of the border (and I mean the US border) cuisine have been somewhat tempered. Next up: the hunt for a good cheeseburger.

1 comment:

Ravi said...

hmm..I think I heard "In 'N Out" was opening up a store in the East. Do you think they meant East Earth or the East Coast of America? Just some food for thought... :)